[Kmymoney-devel] Fw: [Kmymoney] Re: QIF IMPORT PROBLEMS

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:15:24 CEST 2011

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:50:50 +0100
From: aga <agander93 at gmail.com>
To: kmymoney at kde.org
Subject: [Kmymoney] Re: QIF IMPORT PROBLEMS

On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:18:49 +0200
timothy <timboyle at afrihost.co.za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wondered if you could confirm that the problems I have been
> experiencing are due to the way KMM handles QIF or that there is
> something wrong with my files.
>
> I have tried importing old QIFs from when I migrated from MsMoney and
> I get similar results. At that time so many things were new and
> unknown that I can not remember these being specific problems. I do
> remember that I had to do considerable manual reconfiguring of
> accounts and categories.
>
> Be that as it may, I really want to know whether I should give up on
> the QIF import and start looking into OFX import of investment
> transactions.
>
> If anyone has examples of investment files (both QIF and OFX) that
> have successfully imported into KMM. I would very much like to use
> them in my further endeavours. My investments sites merely give web
> page output of transactions which I can download in various formats
> from PDF, XLS, CSV, HTML and even text. These I have been converting
> to QIF for import. My bank and credit card go directly with OFX into
> KMM.
>
> Ar first glance OFX investing appears not to cater for categories and
> sub-categories and does not appear to be able to transfer the
> proceeds of Sells or Dividends to another (cheque) account?
>
> Sample files that actually worked would be of tremendous help.

> ------------------------------------
>
> Hi
>
> I am running KMM 1.0.5 on KDE 3.5.10 on Ubuntu Maverick.
>
> I have been testing out QIF investment files imported into KMM and
> have run into a few problems.
>
> The QIF spec gives the L option as 1)category:subcategory or
> 2)[transfer to account] depending on the N option having an X or not
> i.e. NSellX or NDivX.
>
> However in my testing:
> 1) KMM fails to recognise the colon: and creates a new category called
> "category:subcategory" as if the whole string was a new category
> name.
>
> 2) the transfer account given as [parent-account:sub-account] is not
> recognised and although imported OK shows a yellow
> triangle /exclamation with the account field being blank in the
> ledger. If I reduce the string to just [sub-account], a new
> investment account is created with that name at top level even though
> the same-name account exists as a sub-account.
>
> Perhaps I should explain that I have organised my account structure
> with generic top level asset "dummy"accounts such as Banks Accounts;
> Money Markets; Retirement etc. Each one of these may contain several
> relevant investment or checking accounts with their corresponding
> investments.
>
> Any light on this matter would be appreciated.
>
> Timothy

Hi Timothy

As Cristian mentions in his reply, I've produced a plugin for KMM, to
handle import directly into KMM, of CSV files, both investment and bank
statements.  As it's fairly recent, it is not yet supplied as a part of
KMM, but hopefully will be part of the next release.  However, for me,
and a couple of others who've tried it, it works pretty well.  I'm not
sure yet of when that release will be avaiable.  It is presently
included in the SVN, development, version.

So far as bank statements are concerned, I gather you are able to use
OFX, which is good.

For investments, using the csv plugin, and in fact using QIF, it is
most certainly possible to have dividends/sells transfer automatically
into a cheque type account, and I previously used QIF for this and now
use CSV successfully.

In your first posting, you mention problems associated with subaccounts
and categories, which surprises me, and I wonder if your difficulty
might be associated with the way in which you say you've set up your
accounts.  I'm not clear if you have a mix of investment and checking
sub-accounts below your dummy top-level?  If so, what type is that
top-level account?  I must confess I've no idea whether that is catered
for in KMM.  You may though be able to mix-n-match below an
Institution, which may give you what you require.

I've just dug out and modified an old QIF file and confirmed that it
imports correctly transactions containing dividends and transferred the
proceeds correctly to a cheque account. Attached invAa.QIF.

Similarly, an old large Quicken file which I've stripped, and which
confirms that a payment can tranfer to a sub-account- see last
transaction of everythingtrans.QIF

If so far as your web investment imports are concerned, then the csv
plugin may help.  This may be a bit of bother to set up initially, as
its only in the development release, but much depends on your expertise
and enthusiasm!  Let me know.

Hi Timothy

It might be an idea, if you can, to let me have a sample investment csv
file, to see if there might be any problems with its format, that I
might need to look into.  CSV files are very variable, and I only have
seen a few types.  If so, send it direct to me.  I'll treat it as
private anyway.

Allan

Be sure to edit anything sensitive/incriminating!