[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Alkimia

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Fri Mar 4 15:20:17 CET 2011

Hello Marko,
first of all, Alkimia is not going to be the be-all and do-all behind
KMyMoney. It is not going to hold the data of KMyMoney, rather it is
going to hold the data you share with other applications.
Alkimia is a data sharing framework, not a data storage, as it's the
case with Akonadi, where you have a central storage, and application
display and access the data in it.
Alkimia is going to be used for those cases where information can be
shared among applications, or where it makes sense to have features in
a central point. For example, it could be used for import/export
plugins, or as it is the case with a prototype I'm doing, to get share
quotes and act as a storage that applications can then query as
needed.

So, you may have import/export info there. How do you make it safe?
Well, first of all, it will work as a user DBus service, not a
web-based service. Only the local user will be able to access it.
Second, further mechanisms will be put in place as needed, when
sensible financial info may be going through Alkimia. This could
include encrypting the storage, only enabling services when signed
with GPG key, etc.

Most important of all, Alkimia will run as a local DBus service. At
least, that's the vision now.

And of course, everyone who is willing to make it happen, is more than
welcome. So far, it's only me and Thomas working on different parts of
Alkimia, and the progress is very slow.

Regards,
Alvaro