[Kmymoney-devel] Investment Dividend/Interest payment handling on import

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:18:27 CEST 2011

I've been looking at the mymoneyqifimporter.cpp logic which handles
these payments.  Where an 'X' subscript is used, as in DivX, and
combined with an 'L[accountname]' record, in QIF files, it is pretty
clear what should happen to the payment.  If the 'X' or the '[]' are
missing, then things become less clear.

Without either of these, the 'L' record is taken to be a category.
Now, maybe I'm wrong here, but shouldn't the dividend/interest payment
still go into a checking account?  If not, that sum cannot be 'spent'
later.  If a Brokerage account is specified, then it will be dropped in
there, but is there is not, the record gets flagged as missing an
assignment.

If the type is Div, then the imported transaction can be edited, to
use a suitable account.  However, if the type is IntInc, then there
still seems to be an issue as the transaction can not be
edited, probably because IntInc does not have a second split.

As it has been found that some IntInc transactions can have a security,
and share details, would it be sensible to treat them in the same way
as Div transactions, as this would at least give the user the
opportunity to supply his own checking account, rather than having a
possibly unwanted Brokerage account invented?

It may well be that my understanding is incomplete, but to me it seems
odd that a dividend or interest payment can be received, only to become
a category, rather than a deposit.