[Kmymoney-devel] Re: [Kmymoney2-developer] QIF Importing

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:27:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:21:19 -0500
James Duke <duke.james.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tried importing complete quicken history including: account list,
> catarories, securities etc.  Program worked on the data for 10 to 15
> minutes and shut down.  Tried 3 times with same results.  Is there a
> file size or record number limit?  File was over 5MB.

Did you get anywhere with my suggestion to run KMM from the command
line?

That's quite a good size, and I don't know what the world record is.
So far as I know, KMM does not impose any size limitation.

Oh, in your previous email, you mentioned an attachment, which didn't
seem to be present.  I'd be interested to see what account types got
duplicated.  I've recently found that having 'Mutual' type accounts can
result in extra accounts.  Also, if, say, you have dividend payments
which get transferred to a checking account, KMM at the moment cannot
connect the two, with the result that, when the checking side is
processed, an additional checking account is created  for the payment,
as it cannot deal with money in investment accounts.  If this is your
problem, try removing the '[' and ']' from the checking account
entries.  That will result in the payment being allocated to a category
instead of an account.  This will still leave a redundant checking
account.  This can be avoided by removing  the related
"
NStock name here
TStock
^
" record.  I've just tried these steps with my ex-Quicken file and six
accounts were reduced to two.

If you still have a problem, could you perhaps make an extract from your
file, showing the basic structure?  Start from the first
"
!Clear:AutoSwitch
!Type:Security
" entry and show a few accounts, then skip to the first
"
!Option:AutoSwitch
!Account
" and again show a few entries.  There will be a lot of these account
records, so just show a few.

Then you'll get !Account......!Type:Invst.... groups.  Again, show a
few of those. Disguise the payment details, as long as they are still
valid.

At the end of this, you should have a mini file which you should be
able to import yourself.  Then send the file to me to look at.

Allan