[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Add Regional Settings KCM to menu

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Jul 26 17:29:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Tuesday 26 July 2011 16:12:23 David Houlden wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2011 12:28:35 Cristian Oneț wrote:
> > 2011/7/26 Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at kde.org>:
> > > Hello all,
> > > some of you may be aware that Gnome devs have changed the name of the
> > > settins app to System settings. That means there is a clash with KDE's
> > > existing one. And that will cause troubles when we direct users to
> > > change the regional settings.
> > >
> > > Therefore, I propose we add this option to KMM's menu, so users can
> > > access that KCM straight from our application and don't rely on
> > > Systemsettings anymore, as it won't be accessible to those using
> > > Gnome.
> > >
> > > I strongly suggest we do it before this release, because the problem
> > > is already there.
> >
> > I've been following the discussion on k-c-d. I don't think that the
> > locale settings should be available in KMyMoney's settings dialog
> > because I feel that it could give a user the false feeling that he is
> > changing KMyMoney settings in there.
>
> Perhaps I am not understanding this discussion but "kcmshell4 language" is
> already in the kmymoney settings menu and it puts out a warning that
> changes made will affect all kde applications.

That's what I thought when starting to read the thread on k-c-d (I still have
74 of them unread). And for the GNOME users among ours we put that menu item
in long time ago. So I think we're in a (more or less) safe harbor this time.
One idea just crossed my mind: can we detect if we run under a KDE DE and then
don't show this option so it only there for those non-KDE DE users? This could
even be done w/o a string change.

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
Scott Granneman, Security Focus