[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Accounts, categories, and budgets

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 2 15:14:31 CEST 2011

On 2011.07.02 06:27, Cristian Oneț wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I was contacted by someone who is working on translating the manual
>> into French, and he brought up some questions on the Budget chapter.
>>  I have already committed an update so that the descriptions match
>> the current GUI, but I still have one open question.  The upper
>> right pane in the UI is labelled "Accounts List."  As far as I can
>> tell, this will only have Categories.  I know internally, categories
>> are treated as accounts, but they are not interchangeable in the UI.
>>  Would it make sense to relabel this as "Category List" and then
>> change all references in the chapter from "Account" to "Category" to
>> hopefully decrease any confusion?
>
> Yes it would make sense do the rename although, at least for me
> 'Category'=='Income/Expense account' so the account name is not that
> confusing.
I've also gotten used to this, but I do remember having to read things
more than once because of this when I first started using KMM and when
I first started editing the manual.

>> In addition, the column "Total Balance" in the account list will
>> always be 0 for categories, so is there any reason to keep it in the
>> display?
> It is not true that the "Total Balance" column will always be 0 for
> categories. Just try to setup a category in a foreign currency and
> you'll see the displayed balance. It is not that unusual to have
> categories in foreign currencies.
Well, that's what the manual says now (always 0 for categories.)  Just
to be sure - with a foreign currency category, Total Value with have
they amount in the value of the category and Total Balance with have it
converted to your base currency?  Or do I have it backwards?  (I don't
have any set up like this - so I'll try to add one to the test kmy file
I was using for screen shots.)

Thanks for the responses.