[Kmymoney-devel] Re: More budget questions

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:32:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2011.06.29 18:02, Jack wrote:
>>> Next, someone on the kde-doc-english list said he was translating
>>> the manual (didn't say what language) but was having problems with
>>> the budget section.  In fact, it does appear that there have been
>>> changes in the budgets interface that are not reflected in the
>>> manual.
>>> - if you have not created any budgets, the default budget list is
>>> empty.  The default empty budget called "Budget <year>" is not
>>> created until you actually create a new budget.
>>> - the manual says there are five buttons above the list of budgets,
>>> but the UI only shows three.   It appears revert and save buttons
>>> have been removed.   IT appears that you are prompted to save when
>>> the budget in the budget list loses focus by switching to another
>>> budget or another area of the program.  I assume reverting is done
>>> by switching without saving and then switching back.
>>>
>> I see that the save and revert buttons have just moved to under the
>> list of accounts/categories, next to the collapse and expand buttons
>> and the checkbox to hide unused categories.  However, I'm not
>> completely sure what the entry box to the right of that does.  It
>> seems to be a filter/search on account/category name - keeping any
>> that match, plus their parents in the hierarchy.  I was initially
>> confused because I tried typing numbers in it - and I still can't
>> figure out what that does.  Also - if you type enough in that box so
>> that no categories are listed, when you clear that box, the
>> categories come back, but completely collapsed, no matter if they
>> were fully expanded before.  Is this the intended (or at least
>> expected) behavior?

Sorry for the delayed answers.

> 1) The text box to the right of the "hide unused" does seem to be a
> text filter - is there any reason it has no label at all?

Yes, mainly the available space. Once you type something there it's
pretty obvious what it does.

> 2) In the accounts list, there are columns for Total Balance, and Total
> Value.  The Balance is always 0 for categories - but this list only
> shows categories, never regular accounts?  (or am I wrong?)  If this is
> the case, what is the point of that column, which will always be empty?

I've already answered this in the other thread.

> 3) In the accounts list, if a category is collapsed, the Total Value is
> the sum for all subcategories.  However, if a category is selected, and
> thus displayed in the assignments section below, if it has
> subcategories, the assignment values are always 0, even if all
> subcategories are collapsed in the accounts list.  This does make sense
> to me, but I wanted to confirm it, because it is potentially confusing
> enough that I plan to explicitly mention it in the handbook.

That's the way it should work and there is nothing wrong in explicitly
stating this behavior in the user manual.

Regards,
Cristian