[Kmymoney-devel] Re: New Java project and a currency query

Andrew Heald andrew at heald.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 08:23:30 CET 2011

Thanks, Thomas. Your explanation makes sense. I think it's enough to get me going and I realise this is why most currencies have 100, 100, 100 as the values because they have pounds/dollars and pence/cents.

A bit of background: I save from KMyMoney as straight XML, rather than compressed, and write my files into an auto-versioning Subversion repository via a WebDAV mount (http://oreilly.com/opensource/excerpts/9780596510336/webdav-and-autoversioning.html). I do it this way so I can use a number of KMyMoney instances to edit the same data without getting mixed up as to content. It's also easy to roll back if I mess up, and it's sometimes interesting to see the history. I'm also running my own private Wiki, to which I auto-publish some generated pages.

The first idea is to add a job to my Jenkins build server (http://jenkins-ci.org) that will fire up whenever KMyMoney data is saved to the repo, detecting the Subversion commits. It will summarise the data in various ways and turn it into a set of up to date report pages, and maybe spreadsheet attachments, which I can look at when I don't have KMyMoney to hand. The reports will be on things like unreconciled transactions, budget performance and cash flow.

After that I'm considering a simple web app or Wiki plugin to enter cash transactions "on the run". This would be a Subversion client and commit with a real log comment to make it easy to spot these transactions in the history and tweak the details when back at base if they need cleaning up.

I've also some half-baked ideas around budget management that are too ill-defined to be of any use yet.

As much as I can I'll turn ideas I have into feature requests for KMyMoney itself.

Best wishes,
Andrew.