[Kmymoney-devel] git help

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 28 17:06:52 UTC 2011

On 2011.12.28 11:43, Fernando Vilas wrote:
> 	I just pushed a small change into master. We used to be able to
> put a message with each commit, and tie it to a bug with keywords. I
> have seen these still work with git. How can I make git prompt me for
> a commit message when I push, like SVN used to do?

If you don't use -m as Yuri suggests, git should still bring up an
editor for you to add the message when you do the commit.  Note that
the message goes with the commit, not with the push.  This is a big
difference between svn and git.  In svn, only the (remote) repository
is "official" so pushing your changes is what commits them.  git is a
distributed system, so it considers your local repository as valid as
the remote one.  "git commit" is a local command, and "git push" just
copies it to the remote repository.