[Kmymoney-devel] Re: KMyMoney crashed and my data was lost

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Nov 24 09:53:48 CET 2010

Hi,

on Wednesday 24 November 2010 04:38:13 Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry, I didn't have enough backtrack information so I was not asking for a
> bugfix for this crash problem.  That's why I didn't include platform and
>  kmm version information.
>
> I'm using KMyMoney 4.5.1 running on KDE 4.5.2.  Both KMM and KDE were
> installed via Mandriva packages (hence running on Linux).  I was just
> customizing report when crash happened.
>
> I didn't have a backup for my data.  Fortunately I just started to learn to
> use KMM and right now I used it only for recording my expenses.  All I lost
> was this month's detail expense record.  My loss is minor, but if it can
>  let KMM have a better data backup and recovery scheme, that would be very
>  great.

KMyMoney keeps the original file as long as possible. Saving the data only
happens when

a) the user hits the save button and data had been changed
b) the user wants to quit the program but data bad been changed
c) autosave is enabled

In any of those cases, KMyMoney writes the new data into a temp file and only
if this is successful replaces the original file with the temp file.

> According to Alvaro's reply, data was saved in a temp file if I didn't hit
> save, which means that I shouldn't lost all my data while crashing, right?

Not really, see above a more detailed description about that temp file usage.

> What I saw was that, after crashing, my kmy file size became 0.  I even
>  didn't turn on auto saving.  How could that happen?

I doubt that the changing the report and running into a crash causes the file
size to be modified. Unless - and we have seen this before - the program was
not built correctly and installed using binary packages.

> BTW, I didn't see the backup options in KMM configuration.  (Is
>  "autosaving" the one?)  Could you please tell me where to set backup
>  options?

The backup part that Brendan was talking about is external to KMyMoney.
Consider looking into the contrib directory which contains e.g. my version of
a backup mechanism. In fact, I have 1569 backup files dating back to the old
days. It's name is "thb.kmy-2005-10-19-21-20-02".