[Kmymoney-devel] Request to move KMyMoney to extragear/office

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed May 26 20:36:51 CEST 2010

A Diumenge, 23 de maig de 2010, Alvaro Soliverez va escriure:
> Hello all,
> This email is to officially request the approval to move from
> playground to extragear.
> When/if we get the preliminary approval, we'll move KMyMoney to
> kdereview to start the formal review process.
>
> KMyMoney has been in playground/office for the last year.
> For those who don't know, the story of KMyMoney goes back as far as
> 1999. It's been in Sourceforge since 2001 and we decided to move to
> KDE SVN when we started the port to KDE4.
>
> While in playground, we have already made 4 releases. We had a first
> long cycle, 3 subsequent 6-week release cycle, which included a 2-week
> string-freeze, coordinated with the kde-i18n-doc team.
>
> As far as we know, the code is fully transtable, with 20+ translations
> of the GUI strings and at least 3 translations of the documentation.
> The documentation is an evolution of the KDE3 documentation. We are
> reviewing it to make sure it is fully updated for the stable release.
>
> We have developer documentation. Not only the regular API reference,
> but also a developer's handbook. We'll probably migrate the latter to
> Techbase to update it more easily.
> Last time I was able to check EBN, there were about 60 warnings. We
> regularly work on those to correct them or report it to EBN if it is a
> false positive. When we started, we had 1600+ warnings, so I can say
> we have done a great job at attacking warnings.
>
> We have gone through 2 usability studies, both on the KDE3 version,
> but feature-wise it is very similar. Both were conducted by Pallavi
> Damera, and they are available at
> http://usabilitykmymoney.blogspot.com/. We have solved some of the
> issues highlighted in the studies, and we plan to do an overhaul of
> certain areas to address most of the remaining ones.
>
> One more important aspect is the health of the development team. Over
> the time, several developers have come and gone, yet the flow of
> development has remained steady and actually increased during recent
> times. Myself, I'm relatively new to the team (joined in 2008), and I
> have found a healthy community and a very helpful development team.
> Since we started the port to KDE4, we have had several additions.
> Also, by development team I mean not only actual developers, but also
> documenters, designers, and testers.
>
> For the future, we plan to release the KDE4 stable version in August,
> at the same time as KDE SC 4.5. From then on, we plan to direct our
> efforts to add new features, which have been delayed due to our work
> on the port.
>
> I think that's a good summary of KMyMoney's current development
> health. Anything else, please feel free to ask.

One question and a suggestion:
 * I understand that libkdchart is a KDAB library, does exist a separate
tarball of it? I would prefer a dependency to a tarball than embedding code.
 * I see you have lots of one word i18n calls, with my l10n coordinator hat on
i would like if you could add context (i18nc) to most of them since most of
them are not really "unique", e.g. i18n("&Deposit"), is that an action or a
name? or i18n("Shares"), is that a network share or a company share?

Thanks,
  Albert