[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney - Sluggish Response

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Fri May 14 12:57:55 CEST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 Cristian Oneţ wrote:
> În data de Miercuri 12 Mai 2010 00:26:45 David Houlden a scris:
> > > Is there a general sluggishness now?  On v1, saving an edited cleared
> > > status happens 'in the blink of an eye', whereas on svn the window
> > > clears for perhaps 1 1/2-2 seconds while it thinks about things.
> > > Accepting outstanding schedules is accompanied by much screen updates,
> > > and even when saving a transaction there is a noticeable pause.
> > >
> > > I've only seen a mention relating to keyboard use, not of a more
> > > general issue.  Bugs obviously have top priority, and removing KDE3
> > > too, so responsiveness has to take a back seat, but I just wondered
> > > what the thoughts are on this.
> > >
> > > Don't take this as a complaint!  You guys have accomplished a
> > > tremendous amount on very tight, ambitious  schedules, and I'm
> > > extremely impressed.
> > >
> > > Allan
> >
> > Hi,
> > I think there are some issues with performance, particularly around the
> > ledger  even when using a release build not debug. I have definitely
> > noticed that just clicking on an entry to mark it cleared causes a screen
> > refresh which is very slow. It doesn't seem to matter how many entries
> > are in the ledger.
> >
> > My test KDE4 machine is a fairly slow 1200MHz pentium III and it is quite
> > interesting to watch how some of the screens refresh. Allan mentioned
> > entering schedules and when overdue ones are entered at startup there
> > does seem to be a lot of screen redrawing going on. I've also noticed
> > that when switching to the institutions screen it appears to get drawn
> > twice, first slightly further down the screen to where it should be and
> > then again in the  correct position.
>
> I've committed some changes that should at least improve the visual aspect
> of all this. That means it may not be faster but it should look better
> because some screen updates while loading the register where eliminated.
> Unfortunately we can't change the fact that the register is re-loaded at
> every data change operation without some major re-writing. But the plan is
> to get a stable KDE4 release, without Qt3 support, with the same features
> as the KDE3 version and release that so people can have something usable.
> After that we can throw out the bad concepts like reloading everything at
> every small change and start from scratch but that will take a lot of time
> (which we are very short of). We try to do out best with the existing
> codebase so keep sending your valuable feedback.

Good work Cristian.
When clicking on a ledger entry to mark it cleared the redrawing of the ledger
looks much better. I think it is a little faster as well but that's quite
difficult to measure. If as you say in your other email you have found a fix
for the "bouncing" when entering overdue schedules that will also be a big
improvement. Thank you.

Dave.