[Kmymoney-devel] Usability Problems for the New User

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Wed Mar 3 16:14:54 CET 2010

This is the first time I have used the program:

From Help:
KMyMoney
Version 3.95.0-svn20090511
Using KDE 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 0"

From sysinfo:
OS:  Linux 2.6.31.12-0.1-default i686
  Current user:  woodsj at woolerie
  System:  openSUSE 11.2 (i586)

This was installed via YaST2 and the distribution was brought up-to-date
on Feb 28th.

The problem is that the initial screen (equivalent to the new file
screen) is no longer appearing on program start-up.

Why I would expect it to:

The initial screen was attempting to collect Personal Data. I realized
that the personal data should all be in the Addressbook. When I went to
Contacts in KDE-PIM I found that I had a couple of email addresses and
nothing else. Using the fields in the Personal Data screen as a template
I filled in the corresponding fields of Contacts. The data was applied
and OK'd, the contacts were saved, and the KDE-PIM program was
closed.

Now the initial screen was canceled so that I could expect the KMyMoney
program would be working with a current copy of the Contacts. KMyMoney
was restarted. The initial screen no longer appears.

The initial screen should reappear until some data is explicitly saved.

I am aware that the initial screen is similar to the New File screen but
that depends on knowledge that shouldn't be expected yet for a new user.

How this problem is handled will be used on the next three problems that
have been spotted. Please train me.