[Kmymoney-devel] Prices dialog

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 05:07:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> On 15/06/10 10:48, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:38 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> > <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 15/06/10 06:51, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> >     > Hi all,
> >     >
> >     > on Tuesday 15 June 2010 02:35:19 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM, aga <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> >     <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>> wrote:
> >     >>> Hi Alvaro
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Funnily enough, I was just thinking yesterday that I should be
> >     putting in
> >     >>> a wish-list item for the prices dialog.
> >     <snip>
> >     >>> 2) Also, partly in connection with the above, but also as a
> separate
> >     >>> wish, would be the display of the account name alongside each
> >     entry.  In
> >     >>> my prices
> >     >>> list I have more than one separate entry for a few securities.
> >      I don't
> >     >>> mean
> >     >>> different prices, but, with the 'display every entry'
> >     UN-checked, a few
> >     >>> prices
> >     >>> show more than once.  This probably goes back to when I split up
> >     some
> >     >>> funds that I had bought at different times and unfortunately
> >     gave them
> >     >>> each a duplicate security instead of sharing the one.  I have now
> >     >>> corrected that and
> >     >>> they do now share the one security, but the old entries remain
> >     and I want
> >     >>> remove them, but there is no indication of which prices belong
> >     to which
> >     >>> account and which are therefore redundant.
> >     >>>
> >     >>>
> >     >>> If the price entry had with it the account name it would be easy
> >     to see
> >     >>> which
> >     >>> prices list entry referred to which account.   Also, though, I
> >     don't use
> >     >>> the
> >     >>> symbol on a day-so-day basis, and am much more comfortable
> >     seeing the
> >     >>> security
> >     >>> name rather than its symbol.
> >     >>
> >     >> The issue I have with this, is those prices which are associated
> with
> >     >> multiple accounts.
> >     >> How do we display the accounts in those cases?
> >     >> Do we display it only when there is only one account related to
> >     that price?
> >     >> If we don't display multiple accounts, how do we differentiate
> >     from the
> >     >>  case when there are no accounts related to a price?
> >     >
> [...]

It is already complicated to get the corresponding account, and you need the
parent account?
Can't you temporarily change the name of the account, match by that and then
change it back? :/

I've been thinking about this issue, and I'd agree with adding a "Stock
name" column for the case when a price is related to an invesment. Besides
this very specific case, I don't see the point to add the parent name. Of
course, there must be cases I probably haven't thought about, but let's try
to keep the columns to a minimum.

Regards,
Alvaro