[Kmymoney-devel] problem calculating 0% (no interest) loans? (KMM 0.9.3)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 14 16:47:50 CEST 2010

On 2009.06.25 01:47, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 23:14:43 Jack wrote:

>>> Using 0.00001% made it calculate the right values, but is there any
>>> reason it should not handle an principle only loan?

>>> You could easily use a regular liability account to achive the same
>>> thing.

>> True.  How about a low-priority request to change the error message
>> in this case to a specific one that non interest loans should be
>> handled by a regular liability account instead of a loan account.
>> The current message about entries not matching is misleading.  This
>> could even pop up immediately when focus leaves the interest rate
>> field before any calculation is attempted.

> True. We're currently in a string freeze period for the project, so
> this has to wait a bit.

This was originally from the sourceforge list last year.  I just tried
again, and the behavior is a bit different from what I remember, but
could still use some attention, although it may still be lower priority
than other things to be done before release.

First, if I enter a 0% interest, I still get the same error that the
numbers don't match.  However, if I leave the interest rate missing,
then KMM does calculate a 0% interest.  Further on this, the calculate
button only becomes enabled if I fill in a payment amount.  Both the
interest and number of periods default to 0, but I can blank out the
interest but not the number of payments.  If I let KMM calculate the 0
interest, and then change something else to the same value (to
re-enable the calculate button) hitting calculate gives the same error
again.

With a 0% interest rate, it still requires me to set a category for
interest payments.  I suppose it's reasonable, since the interest rate
might change in the future, but it seems unnecessary.

My original suggestion was just to change the "calculate" error for a
0% interest rate, which still makes sense, although it's odd that KMM
will actually calculate a 0% interest rate.