[Kmymoney-devel] Schedule for future releases

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 02:00:30 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Ian Neal <iann_bugzilla at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Alvaro Soliverez<asoliverez at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hello all,
>>> as I promised, here is a proposal for a schedule.
>>>
>>> - move into extragear
>>> - sync with KDE SC schedule
>>> - short releases before kdereview
>>>
>>> First of all, if possible, I would like to get KMyMoney into extragear
>>>  by KDE SC 4.5. That's about 8 months from now, so I think it is
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Along with that, I think we should sync KMM releases with KDE. Of
>>> course, that has its pros and cons. As a pro, we are more predictable
>>> for distros, so they know when to expect a release from us. It has the
>>> con that we have to adapt our development to the KDE schedule,
>>> including soft and hard feature-freeze, and string-freeze, of course.
>>> That means that we only 4 months every 6 to work on new features, and
>>> 2 full months dedicated to bug fixing and stabilizing new features.
>>> Until KDE moves to git, that might slow our development on new
>>> features, specially for those who don't get many bug reports, kind of
>>> like happened with the work on porting the widgets for this release.
>>>
>>> To move to extragear, we have to get KMM into kdereview before freeze.
>>> I think that's about May. So, I would go with short release cycles,
>>> about 6 weeks each, and have 3 releases before moving to kdereview.
>>> Each cycle would be 4-week full development, and 2-week string-freeze
>>> and stabilization. The first string-freeze would start about February
>>> 1st, which is the end of string-freeze for 4.4, and release of KMM
>>> 3.96 about February 15th.
>>> KMM 3.97 release would be about March 29th and 3.98 would be mid-May
>>> and then move to kdereview.
>>>
>>> What's your opinion? It also means moving to a tighter integration
>>> with KDE, which on one hand opens up possibilities due to the
>>> resources it provides, but it also means losing some control (for
>>> example, release schedule).
>>>

>> Have you had time to go through this? Any objections?
>> If not, we can set the string-freeze on February 1st and the release
>> of 3.96 in February 15th.
>> We can revise the schedule of the next releases based on this experience.
>>

> No objections from me. Is it worth checking on the KMyMoney2-i18n list?
>
> Ian

The translations for the 3.9x versions are done in kde-i18n, that's
why the schedule is accomodated to when they have less load.

Since it looks like everyone agrees, the schedule for future releases
is the following:

Feb 1 - String freeze
Feb 15 - Release of v3.96
Mar 15 - String freeze
Mar 30 - Release of v3.97
May 15 - Release of v3.98??
End of May?? - Move to kdereview - This has to be done before the
feature freeze of SC 4.5
If all goes well, we would release v4.5 in August, together with SC 4.5

This schedule will be reviewed after each release, as we learn from experience.

Regards,
Alvaro