[Kmymoney-devel] build question - how to have two two versions at the same time

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 2 15:09:44 CEST 2010

On 2010.08.02 02:49, Cristian Oneţ wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>
> wrote:
[...]
>> If want to install your application privately, configure it with
>> another prefix: for $HOME/kdeprefix, use configure
>> --prefix=$HOME/kdeprefix. Then let KDE know about this prefix: set
>> KDEDIRS to $HOME/kdeprefix:$KDEDIR. To make KDE aware of new
>> prefixes, one can also edit /etc/kderc and add
> >
> > [Directories]
> > prefixes=/the/new/prefix
> >
>> but this doesn't answer this specific question ;-) Make sure to run
>> "kbuildsycoca" after setting the new KDEDIRS.
> >
> > ----8<----
> >
>> Then configure your SVN build environment to install in
>> $HOME/kdeprefix. Make sure to set the USE_QT_DESIGNER to OFF. Then
>> you can even use 'make install' w/o the need for sudo or being root.
I've done this type of local install before, and it works for many apps
but not KDE.  It's the resetting of $KDEDIR that I had not thought ot.

>> The above mentioned kbuildsycoca should be the KDE4 version which
>> here on my box (openSUSE) is called kbuildsycoca4.
> >
>> I have tried the basic mechanic of this and it works. In case you
>> want to run the tar-ball version installed in the regular path
>> simply set the KDEDIR variable to the old value and run kbuildsycoca
>> again. I have not checked which plugins and overlays are used if
>> KDEDIR points to the new directory.
> >
>> If you have something working, it would be cool if you can share the
>> instructions on the community page at
>> http://community.kde.org/KMyMoney. We are also happy to drop
>> anything for you.
I will start playing with this.  I think a script to launch the local
version, which changes KDEDIR, runs kbuildsyscoca, and runs the local
verson.  It could also reset KDEDIR and run kbuildsyscoca after KMM
exits, but since KMM might crash, another script to do that before
launching the "official" version would be good.