[Kmymoney-devel] build question - how to have two two versions at the same time

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Aug 2 08:36:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

on Monday 02 August 2010 04:06:31 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> You can't play this trick if you want to run 2 similar versions
> together (eg. 3.98.1 and SVN)
> In that case, you have to uninstall and install the one you want to use.

From http://techbase.kde.org/Development/FAQs/Technical_FAQ :

----8<----

If want to install your application privately, configure it with another
prefix: for $HOME/kdeprefix, use configure --prefix=$HOME/kdeprefix. Then let
KDE know about this prefix: set KDEDIRS to $HOME/kdeprefix:$KDEDIR. To make
KDE aware of new prefixes, one can also edit /etc/kderc and add

[Directories]
prefixes=/the/new/prefix

but this doesn't answer this specific question ;-) Make sure to run
"kbuildsycoca" after setting the new KDEDIRS.

----8<----

Then configure your SVN build environment to install in $HOME/kdeprefix. Make
sure to set the USE_QT_DESIGNER to OFF. Then you can even use 'make install'
w/o the need for sudo or being root.

The above mentioned kbuildsycoca should be the KDE4 version which here on my
box (openSUSE) is called kbuildsycoca4.

I have tried the basic mechanic of this and it works. In case you want to run
the tar-ball version installed in the regular path simply set the KDEDIR
variable to the old value and run kbuildsycoca again. I have not checked which
plugins and overlays are used if KDEDIR points to the new directory.

If you have something working, it would be cool if you can share the
instructions on the community page at http://community.kde.org/KMyMoney. We
are also happy to drop anything for you.