[Kmymoney-devel] build question - how to have two two versions at the same time

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 1 23:15:14 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I would really love to be able to have two different versions of KMM
"installed" at the same time.  I use the quotes because I what I really
want is to have the distro provided version actually installed, but be
able to compile and run one or more other versions - such as the latest
svn.  I know you can actually run kmymoney/kmymoney from within the
build directory, but without doing the "make install" many of the
necessary files won't be found, so you either don't have them or you
get the ones from the real installed version.

I assume this isn't really a KMM problem specifically, but a more
general KDE issue.  Does anybody know if this has been addressed or if
there are any suggested approaches?  I know I could set up virtual
machines, but it seems like a lot of overhead.  I wonder if I could set
it up with a chroot environment, but there is enough I'm not sure about
that I haven't bothered trying yet.

Thanks for any ideas, including where in the KDE forums or mailing
lists would be a better place to discuss this.