[Kmymoney-devel] Warning when there is more than one payee or memo

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:47:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 2010.04.28 21:19, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> sparked by a recent discussion, I think we could do more to warn the
>> user when there is the unusual situation that a transaction has more
>> than one payee or memo.
>> As you may know, the payees and memos are stored per split, not in
>> the transaction, so there may be situations when they difer. That is
>> possible, and desired, so we should improve the usability for those
>> cases.
>> I think we could show a warning sign and a tooltip over it could
>> explain the user the situation.
>> That's simpler to do when using the transaction form, but it might
>> get trickier when the editing is done directly in the register.
>> Also, the split editor should show the payee when it makes sense (if
>> the split is an asset/liability, if I understand correctly).
>>
>> What do you think? Are there other possibilities you can think of?
>
> If nothing else, it might be useful to have a tool or report just to
> identify all such cases.  It might even be done first as a standalone
> tool.
>
> Jack

A report can be easily implemented, as a last resource, but I'd prefer
it to be integrated within the ledger, where you can easily action on
it. Otherwise you should switch back and forth, which is undesirable
from a usability point of view.
I'd like to find a way to do it that doesn't add clutter to the
interface (we do have enough of that in the ledger) yet it allows an
easy manipulation of the complex cases.
Not easy, I know, but this is what KDE is good at, right?
Otherwise, we would just remove the feature and call it gMyMoney ;D