[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney: Import CSV file from bank (csvbankingqif.py)

aga aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 15:53:35 CEST 2010

On Friday 02 Apr 2010 13:10:36 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your answer. I use the packman repository here on my open suse
> linux machine and use their kmymoney package(s) so compiling from source
> is not a good idea for me here :-(
>
> Is there another way I can test your new import plugin? With your mentioned
> patches?
>
> I also tried your python script (which has version date "Sat 31 Oct. 2009"
>  in it) and it works ok. I use following csv file format:
>
> #Date;Details;Credits;Debits;Verwendungszweck
> #02 10 2009;HERMANN HERZ;400;;MIETE 05.2009 U. HAUSHALTSGELD
>
> Is there a chance I can have these additional informations "MIETE 05.2009
>  U. HAUSHALTSGELD" in kmymoney notice field? (see screenshot attached)
>
> And also, do I have to edit my bank csv file to split the amount of the
> transaction in two different columns (credits, debits) or can I have it
> it only one column with 400 for credit and -400 for debits?
>
> Thanks
> Hermann H.

Hi Hermann (hope that's right this time)

No, I'm afraid that if you want to stick with packman, then you have to forgo
the plugin method, until it is accepted.  The packman repo will be the
openSuse official release, easy to upgrade, but not 'cutting edge'.  To use
the patches involves compiling the source.  That however is pretty straight
forward, once the prerequisites are in place, and involves only two or three
commands.  If you're not familiar with compiling then patching invilves an
extra stage, so you may be best staying with the script.

You don't need to have two columns for debit/credits.  If your bank supplies
just one field, then you should label that column as 'Amount', and all should
be well.  So far as capturing the additional data is concerned, then as it
stands the script does not accept that.  The need for that sort of requirement
is why I abandoned the script approach and went for a plugin with GUI.
However, I did provide someone else with a different script with additional
fields being dumped into the 'Memo' (notice?) field, but it would need to be
altered again to suit you.  If you wish, and while we wait for the plugin to
be accepted, I'll have another look at that.  I've just had another thought,
too, so that's something else I'll need to look at.  Just had a look, and it's
not quite what I hoped, but I did produce a free-standing program with a GUI
that can produce a QIF file, or rather it could if I amend it.  I'll see what
I can do.

It would be good though if one of the developers could spare some time to look
at the plugin, to save this faffing about.

Allan