[Kmymoney-devel] Some experimentd trying to move loading methods out of the GUI

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:44:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Michaël Lhomme <papylhomme at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>

>> For those not in the loop, since it has never been discussed here,
>> FinanceStack is a planned engine to share info among financial applications.
>> I think that using Akonadi may be a way to go, because it is a storage
>> engine designed to  share data among applications and that way we avoid
>> having to implement something ourselves, but things may turn otherwise due
>> to performance or other issues.
>> However it may be, making it easy for other application to access KMM data
>> can lead to exciting opportunities, and also iron out our architecture for
>> future use cases. I have had the idea of a Plasmoid for some time and this
>> may be a  good starting point for that.
>>

> I'm not sure Akonadi can be used directly as a storage engine for KMM data.
> The server is much more designed to mix different resources and make them
> available in an unified way. What could be possible though is to move the
> KMM storage engine as an Akonadi resource and update the GUI to act as an
> Akonadi client.

The idea is not use Akonadi as a direct storage for KMM data, but only for
that data we want to integrate, so that this data is exposed to other
applications. Using it for KMM would certainly have performance issues. I
know reports would surely have that problem.

So, making KMM able to act as an Akonadi resource looks important to me.

> Using Akonadi might lead to amazing possibilities regarding financial
> integration in the K desktop, really exciting idea !
>

> Yes, it would be a cheap way to achieve integration, opening to who knows
what endless possibilities. I really look forward to seeing your work.