[Kmymoney-devel] Some experimentd trying to move loading methods out of the GUI

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 02:20:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on Monday 19 October 2009 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>

> > Michaël,
> > can you send the class to the list, so we have an example?
> >
> > All, this is somewhat related to the issue we had in the saveFile method.
> > Moving those methods to the engine will have multiple benefits, as we can
> > see.
> > In my case, I'm interested on Akonadi for calendar and the FinanceStack
> and
> > a datasource for Plasma (a quick entry plasmoid, anyone?). And from an
> > architecture point of view, it's best to keep the layers separate.
> > So, with Michaël's help we could check which methods need to be changed,
> >  and then work on them to split GUI and engine tasks.
> > What's your thought on this?
>
> Not sure how much of Akonadi we can really use in the FinanceStack. But
> otherwise, count me in on it.

For those not in the loop, since it has never been discussed here,
FinanceStack is a planned engine to share info among financial applications.
I think that using Akonadi may be a way to go, because it is a storage
engine designed to  share data among applications and that way we avoid
having to implement something ourselves, but things may turn otherwise due
to performance or other issues.
However it may be, making it easy for other application to access KMM data
can lead to exciting opportunities, and also iron out our architecture for
future use cases. I have had the idea of a Plasmoid for some time and this
may be a  good starting point for that.