[Kmymoney-devel] Schedule for future releases

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:44:58 CET 2009

Hello all,
as I promised, here is a proposal for a schedule.

- move into extragear
- sync with KDE SC schedule
- short releases before kdereview

First of all, if possible, I would like to get KMyMoney into extragear
 by KDE SC 4.5. That's about 8 months from now, so I think it is
possible.

Along with that, I think we should sync KMM releases with KDE. Of
course, that has its pros and cons. As a pro, we are more predictable
for distros, so they know when to expect a release from us. It has the
con that we have to adapt our development to the KDE schedule,
including soft and hard feature-freeze, and string-freeze, of course.
That means that we only 4 months every 6 to work on new features, and
2 full months dedicated to bug fixing and stabilizing new features.
Until KDE moves to git, that might slow our development on new
features, specially for those who don't get many bug reports, kind of
like happened with the work on porting the widgets for this release.

To move to extragear, we have to get KMM into kdereview before freeze.
I think that's about May. So, I would go with short release cycles,
about 6 weeks each, and have 3 releases before moving to kdereview.
Each cycle would be 4-week full development, and 2-week string-freeze
and stabilization. The first string-freeze would start about February
1st, which is the end of string-freeze for 4.4, and release of KMM
3.96 about February 15th.
KMM 3.97 release would be about March 29th and 3.98 would be mid-May
and then move to kdereview.

What's your opinion? It also means moving to a tighter integration
with KDE, which on one hand opens up possibilities due to the
resources it provides, but it also means losing some control (for
example, release schedule).

Regards,
Alvaro