KMDI is dead! Long live KMDI!

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Sun Jan 8 17:40:22 CET 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 02:15, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious to know what people's opinions are as far as the future of KMDI
> for KDE 4 goes. Should it just go away? Should we have some form of
> lightweight API based on the KateMDI stuff or the new KDevelop stuff?
> Should we use something else completely new that falls out of the sky? ;)

I would like to see something new, because I would like to see:
- Xinerama-aware MDI (multiple workareas)

- saving and loading of states, ie. if i start the debugger, save the state of
dockwidgets etc. as the "editor only state" and load the "last debugger
state".  That way I can configure the MDI the way I like it for each type of
use (variables window undocked on the second screen in debug mode, for
example).

- a robust api and implementation achieved via unit tests

- proper support for split views like Kate has

... and those are just the reasons I can think of right now.

Cheers,
Hamish.