KMDI Modes

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Feb 22 21:42:04 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 18:36, Roland Krause wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> --- Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at babylon2k.de> wrote:
> > I don't think we can leave them in, kmdi will be a important libary
> > in the
> > KDE UI
> > framework and therefor should at least stay at some consistent
> > level UI wise.
> > (if we provide all this modes, any HIG will just be senseless).
>
> I don't understand, what's inconsistent exactly? What is HIG?

Human Interface Guideline. A document describing how should a KDE
application look and interact with the user. It's preferred to have
some common look, and in case of applications dealing with multiple
documents, a common MDI mode should be defined. This will be most
probably an improved IDEAl variant. Other MDI modes might not fit into
the guidelines. Certainly, childframe mode will be "forbidden". ;-)

> > Beside  this I am not sure if any qt only implementation is wanted,
>
> Yeah, I was afraid of that. I can always maintain my own version
> forked from the current (KDE-3.4).

With the possible win32 port of KDE4 (libraries), I think this won't be
an issue. I certainly don't suggest trying to make it qt-only, as that
would drive our focus out of the main problem: having a good KMDI
library. Of course, I think anybody can try to make it work without
kdelibs, and maybe noone will oppose to merge the changes upstream if
they don't make the code unreadable and do not introduce bugs.

> #ifdefs don't make a code unmaintainable per se but the current kMDI
> is pretty messy indeed on could probably use a rewrite in many
> respects.

It depends how often those #ifdefs appear. ;-)

Andras