Fwd: follow up from our talk / responce to your paper

Stanislav Karchebny berk at upnet.ru
Thu Feb 3 22:40:33 CET 2005

On Thursday 01 January 1970 05:00, you wrote:

> > One of the things that I think is a problem with both of our systems --
> > at least as I see them is how to deal with networks and moving resources
> > across networks without destroying the context that they typically exist
> > in.
>
> this is one of the issues i don't have the foggiest idea about at the
> moment. intuitively, i feel that once that concepts of linkage are well
> understood that solutions for network-ability will become possible to find.

In my original idea i proposed to store metadata in one of formats, either:
a) <filename>.metadata file
b) ./.metadata/<filename>
c) ~/.metadata/<path>/<filename>
d) filesystem EAs for <filename>
All this depends on filesystem storage and is not too flexible. It also should
be very slow.

So, probably a combination of file content digests, metadata matches and
filenames should serve to locate given object (i fear there will be many
misses on a large scale - e.g. on a network of many computers files can be
duplicate, but even files seemingly same can be different {otoh, if we find
the same content in file B instead of file A, it is no harm unless we try to
write to it}).

just my 2c for a start.

--
keep in touch. berkus.

Roey on #kde-devel: when I hear best of breed I tune out--it's too much a
buzzword. What I carry between my legs is best of breed. And like KDE, just
because it's less visible doesn't mean it gets less usage.