creating a content system

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 12 01:16:51 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 03:23, Manuel Amador wrote:
> El jue, 11-08-2005 a las 07:59 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:19, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > > this is kind of hairy, but plain impossible with per-user daemons.
> >
> > it's certainly possible with per-user daemons on the local system.
>
> Oh, well, on the local system it is possible.  But what if the local
> daemon is relaying a query to an NFS remote search server?  Is the
> remote search server actually running?  Remember: this is per-user...
> there is no sysvinit script starting that daemon.

i've spent the last half hour drafting a fairly long response to this and have
come to the conclusion that email is not a good medium for the conversation
we need to have.

the chasm between the places we are each discussing this from is rather huge.
e.g. i don't think we're talking about the same parameters when we say
"per-user stores", you're tackling this from the perspective of using NFS
when that's a subset of the world of possibilities, there's apparently some
confusion as to the capabilities of RDBMS engines and there are a number of
issues with regards to networked stores (bandwidth, CPU utilization and
security being three of them =) that need to be discussed, etc, etc...

i could go back and forth with you by email but it's more frustrating that i'm
willing to submit myself to. an interactive discussion would likely be far
more efficient in this case, IMHO. when could we meet online, and where? (i'm
on irc and just about every IM network (except gadu gadu ;) that kopete
supports) ....

--
Aaron J. Seigo