creating a content system

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 16:05:26 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:11, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > I don't think you ever want to be doing indexing on nfs shares. Ever.
> > Actually nothing outside user home directories should be indexed. Then
> > a system like the one Scott proposed for tenor where you search outside
> > using links could be utilized.
>
> oh,no... at least it should index /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man!!!
>
> what's wrong with indexing all locally mounted file systems?  Tons of

well, besides this being nearly irrelevant for most users? things
like /usr/share/doc/ and man/ make sense of course. and packagers could even
distribute them pre-indexed, and these indexes could be merged into a
system-wide database.

> 1. if your daemon is per-user you'll need a database cluster for that
> user in a hidden $HOME/.indexer directory, and a database daemon running
> for that user.  That is completely platform-dependent code (platform in
> the sense of chosen database)

to repeat what i said in another email a few minutes ago: there will be no
per-user database engine. storage, population and retrieval are three
separate processes in the larger game and each has its own response.

storage: system wide rdbms, can contain more than one index repository
population: simple daemon that can be run per-user or system-wide
retrieval: per user

> 2. queries you will be writing will sadly perform or work differently
> across databases, so there's not much of a point in abstracting database
> adaption, when your final choice should already be set on stone, based
> on inherent database brand properties, like query speed and whether the
> database you want does actually support what you want.

this i'd agree with. note, however, that as you found out you can switch
engines over time. this is an implementation detail and one that can be
addressed during development. i'm not too overly concerned about it beyond
ensuring that we have the base requirements covered in whatever we start with
(network capable, multi-user, standard SQL, stored procedures...)

--
Aaron J. Seigo