creating a content system

Leo Sauermann sauermann at dfki.uni-kl.de
Wed Aug 10 15:53:11 CEST 2005

>In my opinion, it should be seen as only the "search phase", it's about
>storing how the user interacts with his computer, currently this information
>is just wasted. The contextual linking will be efficient only if the
>applications you use store this information.

I might point you to a few articles written by friends of mine:

Storing the context is always a good idea but not easy.

(urls in the bib items)

)
@ARTICLE{DesktopSearch2004,
  author = {Paul - Alexandru Chirita and Rita Gavriloaie and Stefania
Ghita and Wolfgang Nejdl and and Raluca Paiu},
  title = {Activity Based Metadata for Semantic Desktop Search},
  year = {2004},
  owner = {Sauermann},
  abstract = {With increasing storage capacities on current PCs,
searching theWorld Wide
     Web has ironically become more efficient than searching one's own
     personal computer. The recently introduced desktop search engines
     are a first step towards coping with this problem, but not yet a
     satisfying solution. The reason for that is that desktop search is
     actually quite different from its web counterpart. Documents on the
     desktop are not linked to each other in a way comparable to the web,
     which means that result ranking is poor or even inexistent, because
     algorithms like PageRank cannot be used for desktop search. On the
     other hand, desktop search could potentially profit from a lot of
     implicit and explicit semantic information available in emails, folder
     hierarchies, browser cache contexts and others. This paper investigates
     how to extract and store these activity based context information
     explicitly as RDF metadata and how to use them as well as additional
     background information and ontologies to enhance desktop search.},
  pdf = {DesktopSearch2004.pdf},
  url = {http://www.l3s.de/~chirita/publications/chirita05activity.pdf},
  comment = {L3S Research Center / University of Hanover Deutscher
Pavillon, Expo Plaza 1
     30539 Hanover, Germany {chirita,gavriloaie,ghita,nejdl,paiu}@l3s.de},
}
@ARTICLE{Nejdl+2005,
  author = {Wolfgang Nejdl and Raluca Paiu},
  title = {I know I stored it somewhere - Contextual Information and
Ranking on our Desktop},
  journal = {8th International Workshop of the EU DELOS Network of
Excellence on Future Digital Library Management Systems},
  year = {2005},
  month = {March},
  owner = {Sauermann},
  pdf = {Nejdl+2005.pdf},
  url =
{http://www.kbs.uni-hannover.de/Arbeiten/Publikationen/2005/DesktopSearchOverview.pdf},
}

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de