JPEG-XL and upgrading MinGW GCC

Alvin Wong alvin at alvinhc.com
Fri Mar 11 14:06:29 GMT 2022

Hi,

> Forget about 32-bit builds, G'MIC will render those useless because of
> sheer memory exhaustion.
If you mean the memory usage during compilation, then cross-compiling
from a 64-bit host  toolchain should work. But I'm not hard-set on
making a 32-bit build. Halla is right that people trying to make large
images will be a problem, until we have better memory management in the
future (maybe), but when that eventually comes 32-bit would already be
complete obsolete, so yeah let's forget about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For aarch64 Windows, it is just a possibility. There are a few more
devices than just Microsoft Surface, so it may still worth looking into.
Maybe it's not that big of an issue now that Windows is also adding
x86_64 emulation. If someone can get Microsoft to send me one for free
then I wouldn't mind trying to port it, but there is no way I'll go pay
for one myself to hack with :)

Cheers,

Alvin