Fundraising and the Development Fund.

Iván Yossi ghevan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:07:30 GMT 2021

Hi all,

I was left thinking after the meeting about the situation, and adding to the points exposed by emmet and eoin:

1. I personally don't see this a the magic bullet but it sure is needed, and as exposed by our blog post it is needed. I do hope we don't see any backlash but I don't think it will since we are being very clear as to why this is needed.

2. Totally agree on missing incentives for joining the Fund. The badges are nice but are not in the correct place, probably they would be more enciting if they are showed in krita-artists also. Aside from this integration on our communities to thank/reward their support.

Probably a real life object as a keychain or something of that sort is out of the question as it will be a logistic problem as it was when we had the perks fundraisers. In any case rewards are open for discussion I suppose.

3. I totally Agree this should be considered, not only because we bring revenue but because it gives the same benefits the other store shopper gets: Automatic updates. However, while this point is fair, dont forget the UI for Android devices is not at all polished, which I believe is the main reason we are not thinking in charging the Android version.

4. Yes and this is what I've been thinking but in a different approach:

We could give more value to our devfund if the content developed is seen as a consecuence of their involvement in the fund. By this I mean we have to be much more verbose with the fund, and I don't mean to create spammy content on our social platforms posting messages like: "Join the devfund now", but more in the sense of, along a showcase/tutorial/blogpost add a visible legend such as: "This content is sponsored by painters like you: Join the devfund!". This will need content to add this type of call to action, we already have a youtube channel, but I think we could also add it to blogposts related to our work on krita, small tutorials and short showcases of new features, which could be in the form of short videos (60 secs). Im not sure how feasible this is, but it could be an interesting route to keep the fund relevant and avoid it being lost as a background banner.

With this I think I reinforce what emmet and eoin are stating: we need to show a relationship between the investment into the devfund and visible development results. It does not need to be a new end user feature showcase, I believe a blogpost: analyzing libraries, text tools, summarizing thoughts about a conference; is as important and interesting as part of the results of the devfund because they would not be possible without the fund and they improve krita's development.

-----

Thanks for reading me :)

Iván Yossi
<ghevan at gmail.com>