Moving from freenode to something else

Tymon DÄ…browski tamtamy.tymona at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:06:53 BST 2021

It looks like libera.chat is already functioning: https://libera.chat/ and
can accept channel registration: https://libera.chat/chanreg and policies
are here: https://libera.chat/policies .

Though the mail of Fuchs to kde-community suggests that they've got
"overwhelmed" so maybe we should wait a bit, especially since there is no
decision from KDE yet.

Another option is to move to matrix, either fully or temporarily. I'm not
sure, but I've seen some mentions of both harm to data and being careful
about what you say when you're on IRC, which I don't like at all, so it
might be a good reason to move asap instead of waiting, but I am myself
unable to judge it (more about it at the end of the mail). (Eventually, it
would be best to align ourselves with whatever KDE is doing, but I believe
we could temporarily be in a different place).

If anyone has a third suggestion, please add it.

---
Options comparison:
Libera.Chat:
- seems to be owned by a non-profit company Libera.Chat in Sweden. (I tried
to confirm this information as usual, searching in the registry, but  don't
get any results, maybe I'm searching in a wrong place:
https://www.bolagsverket.se/en/us/about/e-services/foretagsfakta )
- it's still an IRC

Matrix:
- it's hosted by matrix.org, which is also a non-profit organization:
https://matrix.org/foundation/ (confirmed here:
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11648710)
- keeps logs (though, note, if we have a irc bridge to matrix, there are
logs anyway, so I'm not sure why we couldn't just move to Matrix completely)
- might be more user-friendly? And can send pictures (no need to use imgur
or pasteboard anymore).

---

I am concerned by the mentions of potential harm to my data or other things
if they are owned by a hostile party (which I'm not claiming A.L. is, note
the "if" there, all of it is at most alleged), I wonder what that harm can
be? If we, let's say, assume the old staff members were running the IRC
server as it should be, it shouldn't have any logs, right, only operational
things like the account information, email, password, IP, where the account
is OP, stuff like that? Can anyone please explain to me in layman terms?
(Can be very hypothetical).

---
Tiar