"Recorder Docker" and Ffmpeg issues.

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 21:22:06 BST 2020

Hi, all!

>From the research I did it seems like we can bundle the following codecs
without any patent concerns:

1) VP8, VP9, AV1 --- owned by Google
2) GIF ---patents expired (?)
3) Theora
4) Cisco's implementation openh264 (https://www.openh264.org/). Though we
have to use a binary blob distributed by Cisco and we cannot package it. It
should be installed on runtime when installing Krita on the user's system
and it should be possible to enable/disable it (according to the license).
That is how Firefox uses h264.

Basically, we can build our own ffmpeg for the first three codecs and ship
it with Krita, and make a separate plugin for openh264. This way we'll keep
most of the current code. We'll need only a special case for h264.

PS:
About HEVC. There seems to be an organization that gives licenses for HEVC.
But they have rather weird licensing information [1]. They have a weird
claim that they don't license "“Commercial” products primarily used to
create or distribute Commercial HEVC Content or provide cloud-based
services". But I don't know what it means and whether it is applicable to
Krita.

[1] - https://accessadvance.com/pdfnew/HEVC_Advance_Program_Overview.pdf

--
Dmitry Kazakov