"Recorder Docker" and Ffmpeg issues.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 29 14:53:34 BST 2020

I'm cc'ing the mailing list, because this really needs to be a public discussion, not something just between us :-)

On Monday, 28 September 2020 21:04:45 CEST you wrote:
> Hey Boud,
>
> Eoin and I aren't sure how to proceed with the recorder docker so we need
> your advice.
> The author wrote the plugin to be used with ffmpeg's libav shared
> libraries, but:
>
> *(a)* We can't easily automate building ffmpeg on Windows because it uses
> autotools.
>
> *(b) *There seems to be some concern over format patents.
>
> We can resolve (a) by downloading gpl-friendly binaries, but that doesn't
> change potential patent issues.
> We can resolve (b) by building from source, I think, with `--enable-libvpx`
> and `--enable-libopus`, but not on Windows because of autotools.

Hm... On irc, ben cooksley suggested we look at how OpenSUSE patches ffmpeg to come to a patent-unencumbered binary. That's probably a good idea, since they have a legal team that has looked into it.

> The only other option that I can think of is to revert, reopen the MR,
> and have the author (or Eoin or I or whoever) change their design to use an
> external standalone ffmpeg.

Hm again... I'm not sure about that. Of course, the recorder already stores all frames before writing them out, instead of writing them out in stream.

> (Like Krita currently does for the animation renderer.)

We could just leave things as is: have it built if ffmpeg is present, but not bundle libffmpeg ourselves.

--
https://www.krita.org