Congratulations! You're in!

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon May 4 19:24:48 BST 2020

Hi everyone!

You've got a slot in the 2020 Google Summer of Code. Welcome! The past month has been quiet, but from now on you're expected to be around in the Krita community all the time. Stay on #krita on irc.freenode.org, and participate in the discussions. Make sure you're using a bouncer or are on matrix or whatever: be there 25/8. Read the mailing list. Subscribe to krita-bugs-null at kde.org on bugs.kde.org. Triage bugs. Do code reviews. Glue yourself to the community.

Do not engage in private discussions, whether through email, irc or hangouts or whatever with your mentor; all your development, all your work, all your questions should be public.

There is _one_ exception. If there are personal problems, whether related to COVID lockdown, internet shutdown or desperate health issues, contact me, personally. These times are extraordinary, and I'm there to help out.

But, in particular, do not, ever, discuss your code or coding problems with one mentor in private. All of that should be in the public channels. Don't be afraid your questions are dumb, or that people will deride you for your questions. If something is not clear, yell.

Practically, your attendance is from now on required for our regular Monday meetings, at 16:00 CEST. You will have to be part of the round-table, where everyone tells the others what they've been up to.

For your coding, make a branch in the regular git repo, not just in a fork. A fork is nice and makes it possible to rebase and re-order commits, but it makes it much harder for your mentor to follow what you're doing. The notifications are just not coming in.

Commit early, and often, and push your commits daily -- at least once the coding period starts, you should be able to push daily commits. If you find it hard to parcel up your work in daily, bite-size commits, that's something of a learning thing.

Keep in mind that not just your mentors, but everyone in the community can help you, and that the goal is that you become part of our team, our community, on an equal footing.

And finally, have fun! You will only get to do this twice under the current rules...

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org