Clarification on the use of the terms 'Brightness' and 'Luminosity'

Matjaž Jeran matjaz.jeran at amis.net
Thu Jun 4 10:19:32 BST 2020

Dne četrtek, 04. junij 2020 ob 10:23:45 CEST je Boudewijn Rempt napisal(a):
> Technically, luminosity refers to how much light a given body emits, while brightness refers to how much light a body reflects. In practice, which term is used in which context in English depends on custom, in particular on where Photoshop uses the terms. I don't know whether it's possible in Italian (especially since I don't have access to an Italian copy of Photoshop...) but it would be good to keep a consistent and distinct translation for both terms.
>
> On woensdag 3 juni 2020 21:31:00 CEST Valter Mura wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My name is Valter Mura and I work in the KDE Italian Localization Team and I'm translating
> > Krita in Italian.
> >
> > I have a question concerning the use of two (similar) nouns in the program:
> >
> > *Brightness* and *Luminosity*
> >
> > Is there any specific reason to use one noun in one place instead of the other noun?
> >
> > Can we consider them synonyms?
> >
> > Are there very special cases for the use of "Brightness" in some parts and "Luminosity" in
> > others?
> >
> > Thanks for the attention.
> >
> > Please keep me in CC, I'm not subscribed to this list.
> >
> > Best regards,

I have translated DarkTable and DigiKam - and both program use both words.

There is quite some theory behind the two words. I am not sure that Italian version of wikipedia covers it all.

May be you can start with
Brightness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightness
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosit%C3%A0_(percezione)

Luminosity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosit%C3%A0_(astronomia)

A good source to get terms for digital image processing are .po files for DarkTable
https://www.darktable.org/about/features/

Kind regards
Matjaž Jeran