Krita Developer Testing Gathering

Emmet O'Neill emmetoneill.pdx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 23:55:29 GMT 2020

I think we should wait until the new year to start, since the next few
weeks are quite busy and I expect most people will be taking at least some
time off over the next 2-3 weeks.
I know it depends where you are in the world, but I don't think people
should feel compelled to do this kind of thing in the middle of the
holiday. Just bake some cookies instead, eh?
As important as testing is, it's equally important that people have some
time to take *real* breaks. Including habitual support-givers and
MR-testers. ;)

I'm not totally opposed to the 27th, but what do you all think about the *first
thursday of the month*, starting on *January 7th* *@ 20:00CET*?
It might be a good way to start out the new year and start thinking about
our plans and goals for Krita 5 in 2021.

> This is great thing to do. Some how i missed it in the meeting. Will it be
> > open for only developers? Will it be for whole day?

You may have missed it because we were having some issues with Matrix IRC
bridging...

Anyway, it's Krita, so of course it'll be open to anybody to participate if
they can and want to. The more the merrier. :)

Right now we have a number of full-time developers, so the idea is to take
a small chunk of that time to actually use and test the program for
ourselves.
Because when we are singularly focused on squashing the next bug in the
list, or making the next change to our MR,
It's very easy to spend all of your time and mental energy on the code in
the IDE, and not on the program itself.
Ultimately, it does cost us a few developer hours, but I think it'll have a
return of better vision, more ideas, and a better feel for what we're
working towards.
(If it's not worth the time, we drop it and try something else after a few
months. But I think it will.)

While working it would be nice to take notes, whether it's "fix this
annoying widget behavior here" or "wouldn't it be nice if this tool could
do that"...

After some talk, it seemed
> like we should try to (voluntarily) organize on BBB, everyone turns on
> screen sharing and you know, we'll just draw and chat a bit.

I'm all for this, and starting at 20:00CET would work fine for Eoin and I,
since that's around the time we usually.
I do think that the diversity of timezones (coupled with everybody working
on their own schedule) will make virtually organizing pretty hard to pull
off.
There's no harm in trying it out though, even if people just pop in and out
whenever they can. I have a feeling it'll get lonely for Eoin and I later
in the day. lol

We won't be stuck with anything, so if things don't work out well we can
always adapt.