Release proposals

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Apr 2 14:04:24 BST 2020

Hi,

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but the smart thing would've been to branch 4.3 of master just before the resources rewrite. That would give us a nice fat release in two weeks... In the meantime, we merged, and we branched 4.3 of 4.2. And we started backporting the android stuff to 4.3. And then the current pandemic began to sap our brainpower and we couldn't really focus on making master stable again.

What I'm think is that it would be good to take a few steps back:

* release for the ChromeOS Playstore from the 4.2 branch

* delete and recreate the 4.3 branch from master from before the point where the resource rewrite merge happened, with all commits after that are relevant cherry-picked. (I'm doing a test run for that now).

* freeze the 4.3 branch for new features in a month, and release a month later (i.e. freeze May 1st, release June 1st)

* let our gsoc students and people looking to work on a fun feature, work on branches made off the 4.3

* let normal development continue in master.

--
https://www.krita.org