Your submission for your app Krita needs some attention.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jun 22 21:40:13 UTC 2018

Name: Krita
App ID: 9N6X57ZGRW96
Publisher Name: Krita
Test ID: cac10fa4-1726-47f5-830e-9a95dc6ebc99
Review Completed: 06/22/2018 14:41

Content:

Okay, this is the second mail like this I've gotten from. I have replied to
reportapp at microsoft.com before but not received a proper reply, only a second
mail like this.

"App Policies: 10.8.5 Software Distribution

Notes To Developer

The app metadata includes links that promote acquiring software outside of the
Microsoft Store.

https://download.kde.org/stable/krita
"

This is not relevant. Your policy says:

"10.8 Financial Transactions

If your app includes in-app purchase, subscriptions, virtual currency, billing
functionality or captures financial information, the following requirements
apply:

10.8.5

Your app may promote or distribute software only through the Microsoft Store.
"

The Krita application includes none of that, whatsoever. No in-app purchases,
no subscriptions, no virtual currency, no billing functionality, no capture of
any financial information whatsoever exist in the Krita application.

Therefore, your report's assessment:

"Please take the following action

We reviewed your submission and identified some changes that are needed before
we can publish or update the app. Please make these changes and resubmit your
app. For more information, contact reportapp at microsoft.com Please include your
app ID so we can act quickly.

App Policies: 10.8.5 Software Distribution

Notes To Developer

The app metadata includes links that promote acquiring software outside of the
Microsoft Store.

https://download.kde.org/stable/krita

Tested Devices: Windows 10 Desktop
"

is wrong. Your policy 10.8.5 does not in any way prohibit links that promote
acquiring software outside the Microsoft Store: it says, explicitly that _if_
an application

"includes in-app purchase, subscriptions, virtual currency, billing
functionality or captures financial information, the following requirements
apply:"

"Your app may promote or distribute software only through the Microsoft
Store."

Since Krita does not include anything like that, the 10.8.5 requirement
reading "Your app may promote or distribute software only through the
Microsoft Store." does not apply.

In my previous mail to "reportapp at microsoft.com" I have indicated my
willingness to discuss this issue at the appropriate level; not having
received an answer, I am making this mail public through a cc to the project
mailing list.

To re-iterate:

Since your rule 10.8 which says "if your app (not the listing on the store,
not anything else, but the app) "includes in-app purchase, subscriptions,
virtual currency, billing functionality or captures financial information, the
following requirements apply" is not relevant, since the app does not do any
of that, your policy 10.8.5 which says "Your app may promote or distribute
software only through the Microsoft Store" is not violated by having a link to
the download site in the app listing -- note your language "not the listing on
the store".

Therefore, it is perfectly fine to mention on the store that people can
download Krita for free from krita.org, for any OS whatsoever and for free.

Please do escalate this to the right level before I have to go even more
public than the project mailing list: I want a speedy resolution that is in
accordance with the policies set out in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/
legal/windows/agreements/store-policies#108-financial-transactions and in the
best interests of both Microsoft, the Krita project and its users.

Yours,

Boudewijn Rempt

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org