Making the pixel circle tool useful.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:53:51 BST 2018

Hello, I started and lead the FB Krita group as well as some other groups
for Krita and Blender 3d on FB. We have about 5000 users. I also help with
development of Blender 3d including having invented but not programmed the
Grease Pencil. I was a graphics programmer 20 years ago but no longer
active with programming.

I was drawing a photo real eye the other day and found that my circle was
poor, so I decided to uses the circle tool (not vector). The big problem is
that to make the circle you click at the 0,0 point and then drag it to the
100,100 point to scale. Neither of these two points is on the circle drawn.
This means that the circle is VERY hard to accurately place on your drawing.

If this does not make sense to you, then open krita and draw a large black
circle. Now draw a smaller red one inside the first one so that all the red
almost but not quite touches the black circle. A ring inside a ring. It is
almost impossible to do.

Possible solutions.
1: Make the circle tool so that it first builds a vector circle so that you
can use handles to place and size it correctly and then press enter to draw
it to the pixel layer.
2: Make the circle tool not start the circle at the 0,0 box point that the
circle is drawn in but rather at the 0,0 point in the middle of the circle
and then pull to x=50% y=0 point (top middle of the circle). This would
mean needing an oval tool. But perhaps it would just be OK to place the
center of the circle and then the x=100% y=100 point (bottom, right of the
box). This would work for ovals too.
3: Other ideas that are better than mine.

My end solution was to not use the circle tool because it is next to
useless and so I added a vector layer, drew the circle there and then
traced it to my pixel layer (ya, I could have just used the vector layer
but I wanted to smear it).

This brings me to vector problems but that is a new thread.

Thanks all!

--
Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.