I would like to help with Animation by developing a plugin

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Sep 3 18:13:09 UTC 2017

Hi Benjamin,

I'm the project maintainer, but I was away, too... It being my twin daughter's
birthday anniversary. I'm not too deep into Krita's animation system, though,
but I'll give you a few pointers inline.

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, Benjamin Summerton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was asking about this in the IRC channel, but I'd like to ask in the
> mailing list, since `Wolthera` told me that `tyyppi` and `dmitryK|log` were
> away at the time.
>
> I've developed my own Animation software before (e.g.:
> https://16bpp.net/blog/post/blit-a-retrospective-on-my-largest-project-ever),
> and I'm doing it again this time, but it's more geared to be more of a free
> Dragonframe replacement (w/ live camera feed, capture, & controls).  I've
> already done quite a bit and I'm starting to get a little burned out and I
> think it might be better to develop a plugin for an existing application
> that has Animation support rather than make all of my own stuff.
>
> I'm looking for help with a few things:
>  1. Krita's Animation system

An animation in Krita is not like photoshop or gimp; it adds frames to layers,
does not abuse layers as frames. First check the libs/ui/kis_animation_interface.h
file as a getting-started point.

>  2. How Krita saves files

A krita file is a zip file with metadata saved as xml, and the pixel data saved
compressed inside the zip file. The starting point for this is, in master, in
plugins/impex/kra, but note how that code calls back to the basic KisImage
and KisPaintDevice classes.

>  3. How to develop a plugin for Krita

Right now, easiest is to do that in-tree: so, checkout Krita, learn to build
Krita, then explore the existing plugins. Create a new plugin directory, and
make it build as part of Krita.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org