Next Gen CI Will Be Moving to Production Shortly: Upcoming Changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat May 6 10:24:13 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Elvis Angelaccio
<elvis.angelaccio at kde.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> allow for different products to build against different versions of Qt
>> among other things for instance.
>>
>> This is the first part that requires your action: we'd like
>> developers, particularly those whose development relies on bleeding
>> edge system software to assist in creating and maintaining (Linux)
>> Platform images. If you're interested in this, please let me know.
>>
>> As part of the shift to the Products paradigm, a number of changes
>> have been made to how projects are built and dependencies managed.
>> This particularly affects dependencies on projects which are outside
>> your Product (Frameworks is outside of Plasma and Applications for
>> instance). These dependencies will now be satisfied through
>> "Dependency Build" jobs, which will be executed once a week. As a
>> result the master version of Frameworks will no longer be available
>> outside Frameworks itself.
>>
>> This change is one of the big ones which massively reduces the effort
>> required to change base systems and thus hugely improves the
>> maintainability of the CI system. It is therefore quite important and
>> necessary, and also isolates the rest of the CI system from breakages
>> lower down in the stack which have happened in the past.
>>
>> This is the second point that requires your attention. If your
>> development process is dependent on using the latest development
>> version of something which is located in another product, then we will
>> need to add that to your Product. If this affects you, please start a
>> new thread (CC'ing sysadmin and kde-core-devel along with your
>> Product's main list) stating which specific repositories you need and
>> providing one to two lines of explaination for each.
>>
>> Note that requests for the entirety of Frameworks won't be accepted -
>> each must be requested on an individual basis with an explanation
>> given for why your development process is dependent on the master
>> version of that Framework.
>>
>> With the change to Products as a core concept for driving the CI
>> system, this does leave Extragear somewhat in a bit of an unusual
>> situation. At the moment we're planning to deal with this by having
>> Extragear be a 'Product' with all of them combined together. If anyone
>> in Extragear has any comments to make on this they're certainly
>> welcome here.
>>
>> Which brings me to the third point of attention. We'll only be adding
>> projects to the Next Gen CI system at their request going forward. For
>> Frameworks, Applications and Plasma this is something which we're
>> essentially assuming we're going to receive from their release
>> managers, so we'll take care of defining the initial Products for
>> those. For Extragear projects, please respond to this thread if you'd
>> like CI coverage (to continue) to be provided to you.
>

> What's the role of kde-build-metadata.git in the new CI? If an extragear
> project is already defined there, won't it be automatically built by the new

kde-build-metadata continues to be consulted for:

a) Dependencies
b) Branch Group -> Branch associations

If dependencies aren't declared in k-b-m they won't be made available.
Jobs won't become available if a Branch Association hasn't been set
for the Branch Group.

In order for a repository to be considered for job creation however,
it must be a member of one or more Products.
If a repository isn't in any Product, then no CI builds will occur for it.

>> Thanks for all who have reached this point - my apologies again for
>> it's length.
>>
>> Note that the Next Gen system isn't finished yet - Notifications are
>> yet to be setup and there are a few other touches left to be made.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben Cooksley
>> KDE Sysadmin
>

> Cheers,