RAW processing plug-in - any interest? (PhotoFlow Editor)

PhotoFlow Editor photofloweditor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 13:41:59 UTC 2017

Hi!

the initial implementation of the RAW loading plug-in turned out to be relatively easy… just a couple of spare-time coding hours to achieve the result shown in this screencast: https://youtu.be/9K6RJv-O6Yw <https://youtu.be/9K6RJv-O6Yw>

However, this is just the very beginning. Unfortunately I do not have much time to chat on IRC, only to read/write emails from time to time. Therefore, if any krater developer is reading those lines, here are a few questions (some might be trivial):

- is there a way to prioritise the file loading plug-ins in Krita? In my first experiments I had to remove the official impex/raw plug-in from the CMakeLists.txt file, otherwise my own plug-in would not be invoked…

- does Krita provide a mechanism to store arbitrary meta-data in the image structure? The idea would be to store the RAW processing parameters directly inside the krita image, so that next time the photoflow plug-in is invoked it can re-open the RAW file and restore the last saved processing parameters
GIMP provides such mechanism through functions like gimp_parasite_new() (https://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpbase/libgimpbase-gimpparasite.html <https://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpbase/libgimpbase-gimpparasite.html>) and gimp_item_attach_parasite() (https://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/libgimp-gimpitem.html <https://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/libgimp-gimpitem.html>)

- is there a way in Qt to spawn a process and pass parameters to it in the form of QStrings instead of char*? I would need this to properly invoke the photoflow executable with UTF8 file names…

- what is the best way to distribute the preliminary code so that experts can have a look?

By the way, the photoflow executable used for the test in the screencast is actually this AppImage package: https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow-20170307-git-stable-d1501a91826e6b768af51bf6c734bd989507915d.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage <https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow-20170307-git-stable-d1501a91826e6b768af51bf6c734bd989507915d.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage>
I simply downloaded the package, made is executable with

    chmod u+x PhotoFlow-20170307-git-stable-d1501a91826e6b768af51bf6c734bd989507915d.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage

and moved is to a folder in the PATH so that is gets automatically found:

    mv PhotoFlow-20170307-git-stable-d1501a91826e6b768af51bf6c734bd989507915d.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage $HOME/.local/bin/photoflow

This AppImage should be compatible with most of the current Linux distributions, and requires no installation of additional packages… just download the AppImage and run it!