Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jul 25 16:08:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On 25.07.2017 17:40, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
> > as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
> > no idea how to improve that.
>
> A while back I had a go at writing a project definition for Ardour with a
> similar problem. I arrived at the conclusion that it is not necessary or even
> beneficial to allude to the skill-level or the ambitions of users; at the core
> is optimization for prolonged, high-intensity use. An application that is used
> often and for long durations.

Yes... Though we often get asked why krita isn't easier. Sometimes that means
"It isn't photoshop, it's so hard", sometimes it means "it has more functionality
than Paint Tool Sai" -- but sometimes it means "I cannot be arsed to create a
new image before painting on it, you guys suck" -- and we need some way to articulate
that Krita is exactly in the category you mention. Sovereign applications that
are open full screen and used for up to 24 hours a day.

> > I think we need to add "matte painting, illustrations and animations" to
> > the fields that krita explicitly supports. Note: product design will
> > never get in there!
>
> What's the background? Several tools already present are well suited to aid in
> product design sketching.

Well.. This guy on reddit and the forum who is telling us we're liars when we
say "Krita is not an image editing application". It's a bit of an in-joke :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org