Relicensing Krita as LGPLv2+

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jan 8 16:04:45 UTC 2017

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017, Paragon wrote:

> If we need to pay to get the krita package signed on Mac Os we may do specific
> kickstarters to get the money we need to do so, no ?
>
> This would make some mac users understand what it mean to get theirs packages
> from the app-store, or support Apple software distribution philosophy.
>
> (it would also be possible to put it in the annual kickstarter budget, but I
> think we miss the educational advantages of running a campaign just for that,
> and linux and windows users would maybe dislike paying for Apple philosophy).

We actually considered doing a second kickstarter in 2015 to collect money
for OSX development. We decided to not do that because it seemed very uncertain
whether we'd reach the goal. The thing is, once we have to pay Apple to be
able to publish for OSX (and on Sierra, the allow all packages option is
already hidden), then I think the people who want Krita on OSX should pay for
that. At that point, I guess I'll sign the binaries and put them up for sale in
the macos appstore, and take the downloads down from the webstie.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org