Relicensing Krita as LGPLv2+

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jan 8 16:04:39 UTC 2017

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017, Timothée Giet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for taking time to answer this, it's an important topic that needs wise
> reflexion.
> I have the same concern as Sven about relicensing to LGPL. I would much prefer
> to get everything relicensed to GPL. And, wouldn't it be easier since LPGL v2
> gives the right to do it?

Yes, that's another option -- it would be easier, since nobody can complain
about it. And it would solve the mess we're in now, where some libraries are 50%
GPL, 50% LGPL.

> (cf. https://www.gnu.org/copyleft/
> "... The Lesser GPL, version 2, includes a provision that lets you alter the
> distribution terms to the ordinary GPL, so that you can copy code into another
> program covered by the GPL. Version 3 of the Lesser GPL is built as an
> exception added to GPL version 3, making the compatibility automatic." )
>
> Also as a side note, I can tell we have gcompris in both macOS and iOS stores,
> and it is still GPLv3... I'm not sure how that happens we're not kicked from
> there.. but anyway, we plan to stop using those stores and make the new
> package for mac available on our website like it was before.. (and probably
> leave iOS...)

Probably because nobody on the gcompris team, or a copyright holder has made trouble -- that's what blocked VLC.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org