Krita is GPLv3-only; was: Relicensing Krita as LGPLv2+

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Apr 26 14:25:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017, Timothée Giet wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for taking time to answer this, it's an important topic that needs wise
> > reflexion.
> > I have the same concern as Sven about relicensing to LGPL. I would much prefer
> > to get everything relicensed to GPL. And, wouldn't it be easier since LPGL v2
> > gives the right to do it?
>
> Yes, that's another option -- it would be easier, since nobody can complain
> about it. And it would solve the mess we're in now, where some libraries are 50%
> GPL, 50% LGPL.

I just wanted to revisit this issue. We actually already have a number of files
that are GPL V3:

boud at thinkstation:~/dev/krita> git grep -i "version 3 as"
libs/ui/input/wintab/qxcbconnection.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/input/wintab/qxcbconnection_xi2.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/input/wintab/qxcbconnection_xi2.h:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtlockedfile/qtlockedfile.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtlockedfile/qtlockedfile.h:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtlockedfile/qtlockedfile_unix.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtlockedfile/qtlockedfile_win.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.h:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtsingleapplication/qtsingleapplication.cpp:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free
libs/ui/qtsingleapplication/qtsingleapplication.h:** General Public License version 2.1 or version 3 as published by the Free

Or V3+

git grep -i "version 3 of"

libs/ui/input/wintab/kis_tablet_support_win_p.h: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/kis_action_registry.cpp: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/kis_action_registry.h: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/xmlgui/KisShortcutsDialog_p.cpp: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/xmlgui/KisShortcutsEditor_p.cpp: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/xmlgui/KisShortcutsEditor_p.h: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
libs/widgetutils/xmlgui/kshortcutschemeseditor.h: *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
plugins/tools/selectiontools/kis_selection_modifier_mapper.cc: * version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
plugins/tools/selectiontools/kis_selection_modifier_mapper.h: * version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version

Effectively, this means that Krita is now licensed under GPLv3 only,
until we remove the bits forked from Qt; from that moment on, Krita as
a whole is GPLv3+. The GPLv3+ code is the code contributed by abrahams.

I'll update the top-level licensing information accordingly.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org