Building a release

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 6 12:55:53 UTC 2016

There must be a better way...

This is what I've been doing this morning to build our 3.0.1 release:

On my Linux Desktop:

* update the version of krita.xmlgui
* update the CMakeLists.txt version
* make a v3.0.1 tag
* push the tag
* make 3.0.1 branch
* update create_tarball_kf5's config.ini to use the new tag
* run create_tarball_kf5.rb
* sign the tarball
* upload the tarball and signature

On the appimage vm:

* update the build_release.sh script to download the new tarball
* run build_release.sh (twice, because I decided to remove the desktop
integration, because it bothers me)
* upload the result

On the Linux desktop:

* download the appimage
* test the appimage
* test the translations -- they seem to be broken!!!
* sign the appimage
* upload the signature

On The macbook

* download the tarball
* unpack it
* build krita
* fix the rpaths
* deploy to an app bundle (twice, because there was a bug that meant
the quicklook plugin wasn't deployed)
* fix the Makefile that makes the dmg to use the right version
* make the dmg
* upload the dmg

On the Windows build vm

* download the tarball
* unpack in cygwin
* build krita
* create zip files
* upload the normal zipfile
* upload the debug zipfile

On the Linux desktop, in the cross-build directory

* checkout the 3.0.1 branch
* copy the po files from the appimage
* build x86 krita (without Vc!!!)
* run the packaging script to create a zip file
* upload the zip file

On the Windows build vm

* get the x86 build from files.kde.org and unpack it
* get the kritashellextension repo
* copy the shell extension dll to the nsis installer folder
* create two scripts to create the two installers
* upload the two installers

On the Windows laptop

* download an installer
* run the installer
* test the result

On the macmini

* download the dmg
* run krita from the dmg

Of course, there were a couple of false starts, things that broke and
needed fixing... The Windows installers and binaries are not signed
yet because I haven'
t yet figured out what to do with the pem and
cer files we bought.

All in all, I used seven different systems (two vm's, five physical
computers to prepare this release. I started at 9 in the morning...

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org