What to do with the Krita & Calligra?

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Mon May 30 17:40:18 UTC 2016

Le 30/05/2016 à 16:39, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, 30. Mai 2016, 16:14:32 CEST schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Tomorrow we'll release Krita 3.0.
> So awesome to have reached that point :)
>
>> At that point, the stable version
>> of Krita is no longer part of Calligra. On the other hand, Krita is
>> still part of the last stable release of Calligra, which makes it
>> hard for distributions to package both and make them coinstallable.
> Does it? Did anyone report problems?
>
>> When we split up Krita and Calligra I had expected both projects to
>> release more or less at the same moment, especially because the port
>> seemed to have posed much fewer problems for Calligra than for Krita.
>>
>> The question is: what do we do now? I guess there are three options:
>>
>> * Also release Calligra 3.0 Really Soon Now
> Sadly not possible, given the lack of dev resources at the moment.
>
>> * Make a Calligra 2.9 release without Krita
> Would that be really needed? Unless some distri packages all of Calligra into
> one package (which would be aweful and IMHO not supported by us), packagers
> should be able to create packages of new Krita next to packages from the old
> calligra, no?
>
>> * Accept the problem and do nothing
> Packagers could be told to use the cmake flag "-DBUILD_krita=off" with the
> existing calligra 2.9 tarball, that should in theory work to skip krita. But
> well, I am not sure what the problem is.
>
>> There is a simular problem with the calligra.org website: when will
>> we remove Krita from the website? When there's a new Calligta
>> release, now that there's a new Krita release, or...
> IMHO as soon as Krita 3 is out. The old landing page on calligra.org/krita
> would tell about Krita now grown up to be a project of its own.
>
> Cheers
> Friedrich

Hi,

Just to inform that krita3 is being packaged for mageia6 next to
calligra 2.9.11 (which still also includes krita 2.9.11..). I especially
asked the packager if it was possible to get both krita versions
available for now (for users it's safer to have both available, for
tablets that work on 2.9 but not 3.0 yet, or other possible regressions..)

Of course both won't be co-installable, but it should be possible to
install krita3 and other calligra apps.

Our packager said he would send his modifications to Helio for fedora...

So, I believe it should not be a problem if packagers do it right.

Timo.